Total Pageviews

Friday 4 November 2011

Alex Reviews...

The Help


I've been pretty lazy when it's come to The Help; I saw the book on shelves, my mother bought the book, I said I would read it but I never got round to it. Then I heard that there was a film adaptation, so I decided I could ingest it that way instead. I don't know if I'll ever get round to reading the book, especially now, because the film did a damn fine job and I don't see what else I'd need to get from the story. That being said, if you have read the book, see the film, because even without any real knowledge about the story I was gripped.

The Help follows an aspiring author Eugenia 'Skeeter' Phelan (Emma Stone) in the early 1960's who returns home to Jackson after four years of university. She is welcomed back by the typical 'stepford wives' of the town, but in her pursuit to become a fully fledged journalist she opts to come to know the African American maids who work in each and every white household, cooking the food, cleaning the floors and most importantly, raising the kids. The two main protagonists are Aibileen (Viola Davis) and Minny (Octavia Spencer), maids who take the risk of anonymously telling their stories of life as a maid to Skeeter, putting their lives on the line to give a perspective that nobody has heard, and nobody wants known. Cue emotional tales, revulsion at the behaviour of the heads of the houses, and tear-jerking moments of either sadness or pride in the underdog making a stand. There are a few comedic moments that will have you chuckling, but it's a nice and heartfelt piece with stellar acting despite a lack of big names attached to the bill.

It's the type of film that can sadden you when you think of how life used to be in these parts of the world, but it is a heart-warming film that throws up the themes of bravery and courage in standing up to what society deems to be normal, and although there aren't really any 'jump out of your chair and cheer' moments, you will be glad to have seen it.

1 comment:

  1. HI PLEASE, I TYPED HELP INTO GOOGLE AND THIS WAS THE FIRST THING THAT CAME. PLEASE HELP ME I AM LOST, HELP. MY NAME IS ARBUTHNOT, I AM A CAT FROM ENFIELD JUST TRYING TO FIND MY WAY HOME.

    ReplyDelete