Total Pageviews

Friday 15 June 2012

In other news...

Most annoying thing ever ever ever for film lovers


No, not British films about good looking female athletes overcoming adversity and blah blah blah - good sports films work well in getting adrenaline pumping and perhaps more importantly getting people into the sports that they glamorously advertise (see films like Bend it like Beckham or Cinderella Man) but the thing that annoys me about the above trailer is the fact that I feel that I have seen most of the film by watching it condensed into a 2 minute advert. Understandably, this looks like it could quite a low budget film that won't push boundaries, so will need to really capture the attention of the viewer to get bums on seats, but from watching this I already know that; the main character has a crush on another character and gets with him, that the main character has a rivalry with another character but that this is resolved, and that any drama that for whatever reason would add tension is resolved in the end. Great. Again, I know that this isn't a film that everyone has been looking forward to, but so many films do this. It's really annoying. When a film is coming out that I have REALLY been looking forward to, I will deliberately avoid trailers and news in the weeks coming up to release. Take for example The Dark Knight Rises which is out later this month - I kid you not that I have closed my eyes and plugged my ears whilst sitting next to my friend in the cinema, with him on the order to tap me when it finishes. The difference is, however, that I am fairly certain that the Batman trailers won't give away anything too devastating so that it takes away from any particularly jaw-dropping sequences, while Fast Girls (above) although not a blockbuster, has meant that I don't feel I'll be surprised by anything that it has to offer.

Now, the obvious rebuttal of my rant is that I haven't seen the film, so I don't actually know if there is something exciting being kept from us. Like maybe aliens turn up or there's a zombie-apocalypse and these four relay girls are pretty set because they can, like, run really fast. But there are plenty of trailers that do a film justice while not giving anything major away. The trailer for Prometheus (2012) was good enough to generate heap loads of hype despite being a sub-par film, and while the trailer for Inception (2010) displayed some of the jaw-dropping scenes, it only gave glimpses and there were still scenes that came as a complete shock. In my opinion, this is how all trailers should perform:

Comedy films - show ONE of the best gags and some of the lesser ones - keep others in the chamber
Action films - show a few explosions, an excerpt of a car chase or a gun fight or whatever, and a sexy lady.
Science Fiction - SPAAAAAACEEEEEE but remain mysterious about what is out there
Romance - set the premise, show the characters, but for the love of god don't actually show us if they get together in the end
Westerns - horses and guns and sand and shit
All films - Don't do what Fast Girls did and include an announcement saying 'with music from...' - I don't care what artists have lent their vocals to the soundtrack. This wont happen; "Oh good lord, these characters are severely underdeveloped and this plot is dull, but I can forgive this because they used that track by Tinie Tempah that I like so much"

But yeah, good trailers but keep us guessing. Thank-you everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment